|Reference Number:||N182163850||Release Date:||June 2018|
|Chevrolet||Low Cab Forward 3500HD, 4500HD, 4500XD, 5500HD, 5500XD||2017||2019||4JJ1 4HK1||3.0L Diesel Engine|
Involved vehicles are marked “open” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.
|Condition||Certain 2017-2019 model year 3500HD, 4500HD, 4500XD, 5500HD, and 5500XD Chevrolet Low Cab Forward vehicles, equipped with diesel engines, may have a condition in which the Fuel Tank Sub Unit float arm in the rear-mounted fuel tank may become disconnected causing the fuel gauge to display “Empty” (E) regardless of the actual fuel level.|
|Correction||Dealers are to replace the Fuel Tank Sender Unit.|
|Quantity||Part Name||Part No.|
The parts are available for Authorized Medium Duty Truck Dealers only. All other orders will cancel.
|Labor Operation||Description||Labor Time||Trans. Type||Net Item|
|9103889||Fuel Sender Replacement
ADD R & R Fuel Tank if necessary
- Park the vehicle, set the parking brake, turn off the engine and block the tires. Make sure that your tire block is adequate, so that the vehicle does not move suddenly.
Important: Vehicles equipped with bodies that lift or tilt to expose the top of the fuel tank will have sufficient clearance to replace a Fuel Tank Sub Unit without removing the fuel tank. Contact the body/equipment manufacturer for instructions as to how to lift/tilt the body. If you can lift/tilt the body, you may then skip Steps 2, 3 and 4 and proceed to Step 5.
- Access the top of the fuel tank by sliding underneath the vehicle from the driver’s side directly in front of the rear axle/wheel. Facing rearward, position yourself beside the driveshaft to reach the Fuel Tank Sub Unit. (See Figures 1 and 2.)
- Measure from the floor of the body to the top of the fuel tank. (See Figure 3.) Do not take this measurement from any floor cross-member, even if the cross-member is directly over the Fuel Tank Sub Unit.
- If there is at least 9” (229 mm) of clearance, proceed to Step 5. If there is less than 9” (229 mm) of clearance, the fuel tank must be removed to properly remove the Fuel Tank Sub Unit. Refer to the appropriate workshop manual for fuel tank removal. Once removed, proceed to Step 5.
- Thoroughly clean the area to remove any dust, dirt and debris before removing the Fuel Tank Sub Unit. (See Figure 4.)
- Using a #2 Phillips screwdriver, remove the five (5) screws holding down the Fuel Tank Sub Unit. (See Figure 5.)
- Lift the Fuel Tank Sub Unit enough to access the wire harness clip. Squeeze the tabs on the harness clip in order to disconnect it from the Fuel Tank Sub Unit. (See Figure 6.)
- Remove the Fuel Tank Sub Unit from the fuel tank by lifting upwards – carefully manipulate the arm and float out of the fuel tank opening. (See Figures 7, 8 and 9.)
Note: The replacement Fuel Tank Sub Unit connector and bracket are in different locations than the original design (Figure 10 is the original position). When installing the new Sub Unit, make sure the connector and bracket are positioned in the same manner as the image above (The arrow is pointing forward). (See Figure 11.) Installing the new Sub Unit as shown in this image will ensure the correct orientation for the float arm.
Important: Do not spin or turn the Fuel Tank Sub Unit when lowering it in place; this could damage or dislodge the float arm.
- Ensure the rubber gasket is installed on the new Fuel Tank Sub Unit. Carefully manipulate the float and arm into the fuel tank opening. Ensuring the connector and bracket position are properly aligned, completely insert the Fuel Tank Sub Unit into place. (See Figures 12, 13 and 14.)
- Reinstall the five (5) screws using a #2 Phillips screwdriver. Tighten to: 1.5 N·m (13 lb·in)
- If the fuel tank was removed during Step 4, reinstall it now per the appropriate workshop manual and then proceed to Step 13. Otherwise, proceed to Step 13.
- Reconnect the wiring harness electrical connector and press the wiring harness clip into the Fuel Tank Sub Unit bracket. (See Figure 15.)
Note: If the vehicle body was lifted or tilted to access the top of the fuel tank, lower and lock the body back into place as per the body/equipment manufacturer instructions.
- Turn the engine start switch to the ON position and ensure the fuel level gauge is functioning correctly.
- Remove the wheel blocks.
All new, used, GM Certified Used, courtesy transportation vehicles, dealer shuttle vehicles, etc. in dealers’ possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles. Involved vehicles must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer-traded, released to auction, used for demonstration, or any other purpose.
All GM Certified Used vehicles currently in the dealers’ inventory within the Certified Pre-Owned Inventory System (CPOIS) will be de-certified and must be held and remedied per the service procedure in this bulletin. Upon submitting an accepted/paid warranty transaction in the Global Warranty Management (GWM) system, the vehicle can be re-certified for sale within the CPOIS system, or once again be used in the CTP program.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles has been prepared and will be provided to U.S. and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.
USA & Canada – General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).
Export – Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.
This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN: ________________________________
Dear General Motors Customer:
We have learned that your 2017-2019 model year 3500HD, 4500HD, 4500XD, 5500HD, or 5500XD Chevrolet Low Cab Forward vehicle may have been built with a Fuel Tank Sub Unit float arm in the rear-mounted fuel tank that may become disconnected causing the fuel gauge to display “Empty” (E) regardless of the actual fuel level.
What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. By scheduling an appointment, your dealer can ensure that the necessary parts will be available on your scheduled appointment date. It’s estimated this service may take up to 2 hours to perform depending on your vehicles’ specific upfit.
If you have any questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.
|Division||Number||Text Telephones (TTY)|
|Puerto Rico – English||1-800-496-9992|
|Puerto Rico – Español||1-800-496-9993|
|GM Medium Duty Truck||1-800-862-4389|
We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your GM vehicle provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.
North America Contact Center Operations
- Mixture of 32.5 percent high purity synthetic urea and 67.5 percent deionized water
- Helps convert nitrogen oxide into harmless nitrogen gas and water vapor for cleaner emissions
- Improves fuel economy by up to 5 percent
- Inject the fluid into your exhaust stream with a specialized dosing module
- Stable, colorless, odorless, and meets ISO standards 22241 for purity and composition
- ENGINEERED: For use in Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems on diesel engines
- EFFICIENCY: BlueDEF diesel exhaust fluid is key to helping improve fuel economy by up to five percent
- PROTECTION: Diesel exhaust fluid is non-toxic and safe to handle
- QUALITY: Stable, colorless and odorless, and also meets ISO Standards 22241 for purity and composition
- EFFORTLESS: Easily Inject the fluid into your exhaust stream with a specialized dosing module
- Blue Tec engines starting in 2010
- Spill proof nozzle
- Vehicles with SCR code U42, meets ISO Spec: 22241-1
- Urea solution to fill urea storage tank
- Approved for BMW Audi VW Mazda and other diesels that require emissions fluid
- 10 PACK
- Compatibility: All SCR Systems
- Unit Size: 2.5 Gallon
- Helps Convert NOx Into Nitrogen Gas And Water Vapour - Two Harmless And Natural Components Of The Air We Breathe
- Stable, Colorless And Odorless, And Meets ISO Standards 22241 For Purity And Composition
- Compatible with all on and off highway SCR systems
- API and AdBlue certified
- Meets ISO 22241 specification
- Manufactured and packaged using only dedicated equipment to ensure the product is pure and contaminant free
- Required for diesel vehicles equipped with a selective catalytic reduction (SCR) emissions after treatment system
- Reduces NOx emissions in diesel vehicles with an SCR catalyst
- AUS32 fluid meeting all the requirements and purity standards of ISO 22241 and DIN70071
- Nozzle specifically designed to fit the DEF filler opening of 2011MY and forward Ford diesel vehicles (as well as many competitive vehicles) and prevent over filling the DEF tank
- Use only dispensing systems that are compatible with DEF
Last update on 2019-03-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-03-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API