March 7, 2019
In the event of a crash, the insufficient welds may result in an increased risk of injury for an occupant seated in the rear-right position.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V184
Manufacturer General Motors LLC
Potential Number of Units Affected 120
GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the rear-right seatback frame, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on April 15, 2019. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020 or GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782. GM’s number for this recall is N192209550.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Product Safety Recall
N192209550 Insufficient Weld on Rear Right Seatback
|Release Date:||April 2019||Revision:||01|
|Revision Description:||N192209550-01 has been revised to include a copy of the customer notification letter. Please discard all copies of bulletin N192209550.|
|Attention:||It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
All involved vehicles that are in dealer inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle.
Involved vehicles are marked “open” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.
|Condition||General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2019 model year Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain vehicles. These vehicles may have insufficient welds on the head-restraint bracket of the rear right seat. Insufficient welds at the head-restraint bracket may degrade management of occupant loads in a crash, increasing the risk of injury in a crash for occupants seated in the rear right position.|
|Correction||Dealers will replace the rear-right seatback frame.|
|Quantity||Part Name||Part No.|
|1||Panel Assembly-Rear Seat Back||84398377|
It is estimated that there are only 150 involved vehicles that will require parts being replaced. Due to the small number of vehicles anticipated that will need this fix and the limited initial parts availability, dealers are encouraged not to order these parts for use as shelf stock.
|Labor Operation||Description||Labor Time||Trans. Type||Net Item|
|9104339||Rear Seat Back Cushion Panel Replacement (40% side)||0.9||ZFAT||N/A|
Dealer Responsibility – For USA & Export (USA States, Territories, and Possessions)
It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment
Insufficient Weld on Rear Right Seatback
with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.
Dealer Responsibility – All
All new, used, GM Certified Used, courtesy transportation vehicles, dealer shuttle vehicles, etc. in dealers’ possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles. Involved vehicles must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer-traded, released to auction, used for demonstration, or any other purpose.
All GM Certified Used vehicles currently in the dealers’ inventory within the Certified Pre-Owned Inventory System (CPOIS) will be de-certified and must be held and remedied per the service procedure in this bulletin. Upon submitting an accepted/paid warranty transaction in the Global Warranty Management (GWM) system, the vehicle can be re-certified for sale within the CPOIS system, or once again be used in the CTP program.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles has been prepared and will be provided to U.S. and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
Courtesy Transportation – For USA & Canada
Courtesy transportation is available for customers whose vehicles are involved in a product program and still within the warranty coverage period. See General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual, Sections 1.4 and 6.1.10, for courtesy transportation program details.
USA & Canada – General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).
Export – Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN: _____________________________________
Dear General Motors Customer:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2019 model year Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain vehicles. As a result, GM is conducting a safety recall. We apologize for this inconvenience. However, we are concerned about your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.
|I M P O R T A N T|
|Why is your vehicle being recalled?||These vehicles may have insufficient welds on the head-restraint bracket of the rear right seat. Insufficient welds at the head-restraint bracket may degrade management of occupant loads in a crash, increasing the risk of injury in a crash for occupants seated in the rear right position.|
|What will we do?||Your GM dealer will replace the rear-right seatback frame. This service will be performed for you at no charge. Because of service scheduling requirements, it is likely that your dealer will need your vehicle longer than the actual time of approximately 1 hour.|
|What should you do?||You should contact your GM dealer to arrange a service appointment as soon as possible.|
|Do you have questions?||If you have questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.|
|Division||Number||Text Telephones (TTY)|
|Puerto Rico – English||1-800-496-9992|
|Puerto Rico – Español||1-800-496-9993|
If after contacting your dealer and the Customer Assistance Center, you are still not satisfied we have done our best to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1.888.327.4236 (TTY 1.800.424.9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Campaign ID Number for this recall is 19V184.
Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
Maryann L. Combs
Global Vehicle Safety
GM Recall: N192209550
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Safety Recall N192209550
Insufficient Weld on Rear Right Seatback
These questions and answers are being provided to help GM dealers respond to inquiries from involved vehicle owners about the safety recall identified above.
|Q1)||Which vehicles are involved?|
|A1)||Certain 2019 model year 2019 Chevrolet Equinox and 2019 GMC Terrain vehicles.
|Q2)||What is the issue or condition?|
|A2)||These vehicles may have insufficient welds on the head-restraint bracket of the rear right seat.
|Q3)||What symptoms may be experienced? What warning signs may be associated with the issue or condition described?|
|Q4)||What is the repair?|
|A4)||Dealers will replace the rear-right seatback frame.
|Q5)||What is the safety risk? Is the vehicle safe to drive?|
|A5)||Insufficient welds at the head-restraint bracket may degrade management of occupant loads in a crash, increasing the risk of injury in a crash for occupants seated in the rear right position.
|Q6)||Does the customer have to pay for this remedy/repair?|
|A6)||No, this remedy/repair will be done at no cost to the customer.
|Q7)||Is the remedy/repair available now?|
|A7)||Yes, this remedy/repair will be done at no cost to the customer.
|Q8)||What should customers do until recall repairs can be completed? Are there any special instructions?|
|A8)||If special instructions are provided, they will be included in the notification letters to customers.
|Q9)||How can customers check to see if their vehicle is involved in this field action?|
|A9)||Customers who own a vehicle involved in the field action will be notified by mail by General Motors, but they may also check their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for field actions in GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/recalls or via NHTSA’s website at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/.
|Q10)||If customers are concerned, can they get a rental car or courtesy transportation?|
|A10)||Courtesy transportation is available for customers whose vehicles are involved in this recall and are within the warranty coverage period for the warranty which is associated with this recall. Please refer to Warranty Administration Bulletin #17-NA-073: Field Action Courtesy Transportation Policy for further information.
2 Affected Products
7 Associated Documents
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Safety Recall N192209550 Insufficient Weld on Rear Right Seatback
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: March 07, 2019 Subject: N192209550 – Safety Recall Insufficient Weld on Rear Right Seatback
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: April 02, 2019 Subject: N192209550-01 – Safety Recall Insufficient Weld on Rear Right Seatback Customer Letter Added
Defect Notice 573 Report
- MADE IN THE USA by a small family business that specializes in the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. Millions of happy customers.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA means great value each four-ounce bottle makes up to 32 ounces of leather cleaner when diluted with water.
- QUICKLY AND GENTLY CLEANS all types of leather and vinyl, removing dirt, oil, tough stains and grime. Non-toxic leather cleaner is perfect for every leather product, including saddles and tack, automotive interiors, furniture, handbags, shoes and jackets. Not for use on suede.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not happy with any of our products, simply return them for a full refund of your purchase price!
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED to work with Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the #1 best-selling leather care product on Amazon.
- Weiman Products, LLC
- Health and Beauty
- CLEANS, CONDITIONS, NOURISHES - Cleans leather surfaces while applying conditioner and nourishment
- PROTECTS SURFACE - A clear protective coating saves the material from usual wear and tear, as well as harmful UV rays that cause damage to the surface.
- VERSATILE - These household wipes can be used on any leather surface, including: Shoes, furniture, apparel, purses/bags, and car interiors.
- SAFE - This non-toxic, phosphate free formula removes smudges, dirt, and other remaining impurities safely and effectively.
- FRESH SCENT - Leave your surfaces clean and smelling light and fresh.
- SIMPLE - Easy solution to clean, condition, and protect leather in a single application.
- ENHANCED APPEARANCE - This combination product will clean dirty leather as well as restore color to faded pieces of furniture or well used handbags.
- PROLONGED USE - neglected leather breaks down more quickly, fading and even cracking. By nourishing the surface and protecting it from UV rays you'll ensure your leather stays in the best possible shape.
- USA MADE VALUE - Manufactured in Florida with a value-sized bottle and complimentary applicator pad to ensure you can use it as soon as you open your package.
- A TRUSTED BRAND - TriNova has established itself as a leader in leather care, meaning you can purchase with confidence.
- Enjoy supple, beautiful leather - restores and protects leather from wear, weather, and sunlight / UV rays
- Gentle, pH-balanced and non-toxic - conditions deeply, leaving only a light shine and natural leather scent with no residues
- Dries within one hour - quick and convenient for regular use
- Safe and effective - works on treated, untreated, exotic, reptile, and bonded leathers (not made for suede or nubuck)
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed - 90-day no-hassle returns from Leather Rescue in case you change your mind
- CPR CLEANING PRODUCTS
- Bring Leather Back To Life, Prolongs the Life of Leather. Softens Stiff Leather, Safe to Use on Glove Soft Leather, Furniture, Jackets, Car Seats, Purses, Shoes, Tack, Saddles, Baseball Gloves, Vinyl, Boats, RVs, and More
- Dermatologist Tested- Does Not Irritate Skin. No Harsh Chemicals. Made of 100% Cosmetic Ingredients. No Greasy Residue, Reduces Scuffs and Scratches. Removes Winter Salt-Stains
- Two Products in One Bottle- Saves Time and Money. Safe to use on Exotic Leathers Such as Alligator and Ostrich
Last update on 2019-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API