April 25, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V328000
A short-circuit may damage the engine components and increase the risk of fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V328
Manufacturer General Motors LLC
Potential Number of Units Affected 324,226
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4500, 5500 and 6500 vehicles and 2017-2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500 vehicles and GMC Sierra 2500 and 3500 vehicles equipped with Duramax 6.6 liter diesel engines and an optional engine-block heater. The engine block heater cord or the terminals that connect the heater cord to the block heater may short circuit and fail.
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact GM customer service at 1-586-596-1733. GM’s number for this recall is N182206310.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
|Release Date:||April 2019||Revision:||00|
|Attention:||It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
All involved vehicles that are in dealer inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle.
This bulletin is for vehicles in dealer inventory only.
|Chevrolet||Silverado 2500/3500||2017||2019||L5P||6.6L, 8-cylinder, diesel engine|
|GMC||Sierra 2500/3500||2017||2019||L5P||6.6L, 8-cylinder, diesel engine|
Involved vehicles are marked “open” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.
|Condition||General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 20172019 model year Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 vehicles and certain 2017-2019 model year GMC Sierra 2500/3500 vehicles. In vehicles equipped with the Duramax diesel 6.6 liter engine and the optional engine-block heater cord, a short-circuit condition may develop in the engine-block heater cable or in the terminals that connect the heater cable to the block heater. A short-circuit condition can cause damage to engine components and, in rare cases, start a fire in the engine compartment.|
|Correction||Dealers are to cut the heater cord, place the customer disclosure in plain view inside the vehicle, remove the original Monroney label, and affix a new Monroney label.|
No parts are required for this repair.
|Labor Operation||Description||Labor Time||Trans. Type||Net Item|
|9104271||Remove Engine Heater Wiring Harness||0.4||ZFAT||N/A|
- Raise the vehicle and remove the right front wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation (8-Lug Wheel) in SI.
- Looking through the area between the wheel house liner and the suspension, locate the engine block heater.
- Using a pair of wire cutters, cut the engine block heater power cord from the connector. Cut the cord as close as possible to the connector. Leave the connector in place on the block heater to eliminate road debris from getting on the block heater terminals.
- With the vehicle still raised, locate and remove any power cord attachments accessible from the underside of the vehicle.
- Reinstall the right front wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation (8-Lug Wheel) in SI.
- With the vehicle lowered, raise the hood and locate the remainder of the engine heater power cord (it should be bundled at the right-side front of dash area).
- Locate and remove all of the attachment points. Remove the complete engine heater power cord assembly.
- Discard the power cord assembly.
- Remove the existing Monroney label (window sticker) and Install the new Monroney label. (for U.S. Dealers Only)
- Print the disclosure letter and place it inside the vehicle in plain view.
Dealer Responsibility – For USA & Export (USA States, Territories, and Possessions)
It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.
Dealer Responsibility – All
All new, used, GM Certified Used, courtesy transportation vehicles, dealer shuttle vehicles, etc. in dealers’ possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles. Involved vehicles must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer-traded, released to auction, used for demonstration, or any other purpose.
All GM Certified Used vehicles currently in the dealers’ inventory within the Certified Pre-Owned Inventory System (CPOIS) will be de-certified and must be held and remedied per the service procedure in this bulletin. Upon submitting an accepted/paid warranty transaction in the Global Warranty Management (GWM) system, the vehicle can be re-certified for sale within the CPOIS system, or once again be used in the CTP program.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles has been prepared and will be provided to U.S. and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
NOTICE TO CUSTOMER
This vehicle is equipped with an engine-block heater that is affected by a recently announced GM safety recall. On April 25, 2019, GM notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Transport Canada that a short-circuit condition could develop in the engine-block heater cable or in the terminals that connect the cable to the block heater. A short-circuit condition can cause damage to engine components and, in rare cases, start a fire in the engine compartment.
Because this condition can only occur when the engine-block heater is on, your dealer has performed a repair on this vehicle that has rendered the engine-block heater temporarily inoperable. GM is developing a final repair that will restore the functionality of the engine-block heater. When this repair is available, you will receive a letter to return to the dealer to receive the repair.
If you sell this vehicle, you should provide this notice to the buyer of your vehicle. Please also retain a copy of this notice in the vehicle’s glove compartment.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, please contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.
|Division||Number||Text Telephones (TTY)|
|Puerto Rico – English||1-800-496-9992|
|Puerto Rico – Español||1-800-496-9993|
These questions and answers are being provided to help GM dealers respond to inquiries from involved vehicle owners about the Safety recall identified above.
|Q1)||Which vehicles are involved?|
|A1)||2017-2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500, 2017-2019 GMC Sierra 2500/3500 and 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4500/5500/650 vehicles equipped with the Duramax diesel 6.6 liter engine (RPO L5P or L5D) and the optional engine-block heater cord (RPO K05).
|Q2)||What is the issue or condition?|
|A short-circuit condition may develop in the engine-block heater cable or in the terminals that connect the heater cable to the block heater. While GM’s root-cause analysis is ongoing, GM has determined that a short-circuit condition can occur in these vehicles if: (i) a block-heater coolant leak develops and coolant contacts the block-heater cable terminals while the cable is plugged into an energy source; or (ii) the heater cable itself is chafed or damaged due to improper routing, use, or storage.
|Q3)||What symptoms may be experienced? What warning signs may be associated with the issue or condition described?|
|The customer may notice: (i) smoke or a burning smell; (ii) poor block-heater performance; (iii) tripped circuit breakers or blown vehicle fuses; (iv) damage to the block heater, the heater cable, or engine components; and (v) block-heater coolant pooling under the vehicle.
|Q4)||What is the remedy/repair?|
|A4)||GM will provide this information when available.
|Q5)||What is the safety risk? Is the vehicle safe to drive?|
|A5)||A short-circuit condition can cause damage to engine components and, in rare cases, start a fire in the engine compartment
|Q6)||Does the customer have to pay for this remedy/repair?|
|A6)||No, when the remedy is available this inspection/repair will be done at no cost to the customer.
|Q7)||Is the remedy/repair available now?|
|A7)||No, when a remedy is available and/or sufficient quantity of parts are available, the recall bulletin will be released, and dealers can begin repairing vehicles.
|Q8)||What should customers do until recall repairs can be completed? Are there any special instructions?|
|A8)||If special instructions are provided, they will be included in the notification letters to customers.
|Q9)||How can customers check to see if their vehicle is involved in this field action?|
|A9)||Customers who own a vehicle involved in the field action will be notified by mail by General Motors, but they may also check their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for field actions in GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/recalls or via NHTSA’s website at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/.
|Q10)||If customers are concerned, can they get a rental car or courtesy transportation?|
|A10)||Courtesy transportation is available for customers whose vehicles are involved in this recall and are within the warranty coverage period for the warranty which is associated with this recall. Please refer to Warranty Administration Bulletin #17-NA-073: Field Action Courtesy Transportation Policy for further information.
15 Affected Products
8 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: April 26, 2019 Subject: Stop Delivery Order for Upcoming Safety Recall N182206312
- NEW Top Quality 1000w Heavy Cast Brass Block Heater.
- Made By the OEM Manufacturer for GM / Chevrolet
- This is the most powerful and durable block heater available for the 6.2 and 6.5 Diesel.
- Superior performance as compared to the 600w heaters available elsewhere.
- It comes only with House Deals unique E-BooK
- DIRECT REPLACEMENT: This Dorman HVAC control module is specifically engineered to match the original design and performance of the original HVAC control module on select GM, Isuzu and Saab vehicles.
- UPGRADED COMPONENTS: Our Dorman HVAC control module is upgraded with LED bulbs for brighter and longer-lasting backlighting.
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION: Easy-to-install, plug-and-play repair solution. No programming necessary.NOTE:Kindly review the videos under the image section and user manual under product details for set up and user guidance.
- WIDE COVERAGE: Our one SKU consolidates coverage from six our part numbers into only one SKU.
- ENSURE FIT: To make sure this fits your exact vehicle, input your year, make, model and trim into the Amazon Garage. Original Equipment (OE) Numbers: 10370033,10370034,10395426,10395427,15076095,15076096,15084170,15084171,15086835,15107752,15107753,15132072,15136888,15136889,15165920,15183792,15183793,15189435,15189436,15195333,15195382,15195383,15201681,15203181,15220317,15220318,15-73095,15832313,15832315,21997350,21997351,21997352,21997353,21999160,21999161,25945046,25945047,8-25945046-0,15022101,25945046
- 2-in-1 formula designed for light flushing and heavy-duty cleaning
- Cleans cooling systems to help prevent overheating
- Non-toxic, non-acidic formula is easy-to-use and safe for all cooling system metals
- Effectively removes heavy deposits by drawing metal oxides into the solution
- Strong enough to help restore maximum cooling system efficiency
- Easy Pour and Go Formula!
- Permanently fixes head gaskets, engine blocks, cooling systems, and cylinder heads.
- "Contains 3 unique technologies. Military-Strength Fibers create multi-layer repair over cracks with a web-like weave. Nanotechnology permanently fixes the smallest cracks and crevices. Cool-X Conditioner - lowers operating temperature as it circulates through cooling system."
- Seals larger holes with less fluid loss than competitive products as proven by lab test (ASTM D6107)
- Works with all antifreeze or plain water.
- GM OEM Style 6' long cord with heat sheild and cord cap included
Last update on 2019-05-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-05-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API