Bulletin No.: 16118
|Subject:||Excessive Engine Oil Consumption|
|Models:||2012 Chevrolet Equinox|
|2012 GMC Terrain|
|Reference Number:||N162053210||Release Date:||April 2017|
|Chevrolet||Equinox||2012||2012||LEA||Engine, Gas, 4 Cyl., 2.4L|
Involved vehicles are identified on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.
|Condition:||Some 2012 model year Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain vehicles, equipped with a 2.4L engine, may exhibit excessive engine oil consumption (less than 2,000 miles [3,200 km] per quart [0.946 L] of engine oil), due to piston ring wear. If this condition is present, an audible rattle or knock from the engine may be heard. The engine oil pressure telltale may illuminate on the instrument panel or the following message may appear in the Driver Information Center: “Oil Pressure Low – Stop Engine”.|
|Special Coverage Adjustment||This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years and 6 months or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after April 28, 2017, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to April 28, 2017, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
Vehicle owners or lessees who paid for repairs referenced in this Special Coverage (“Customers”) are eligible for reimbursement of their reasonable and customary expenses in accordance with the procedures specified below. The conditional right to reimbursement is provided by GM solely in the interest of customer satisfaction and is personal to Customers. Customers may not assign and GM does not consent to any assignment of any Customer’s right to submit reimbursement claims, or to receive reimbursement, or any other rights granted by this Special Coverage to any third party, including but not limited to service contract providers, and this Special Coverage is not intended to and does not confer any third party beneficiary, subrogation or contribution rights, or any other rights to reimbursement, against GM, whether in law, equity or otherwise, on any third parties.
|Correction||Dealers are to perform an oil consumption test and install new pistons and piston rings. The repairs will be made at no charge to the Customer.|
|Quantity||Part Name||Part No.|
|1||Gasket Kit, Cylinder Head||12637166|
|1||Gasket Kit, Camshaft Cover||12609291|
|1||Seal, Chain Package, Timing||12680750|
|1||Chain Assembly, W/Pmp And Balr Shf||12635427|
|1||Tensioner Asm – W/Pmp & Balr Shf Chain||12649233|
|1||Gasket, Engine Front Cover||24435052|
|1||Seal, Fuel Pump Housing (Oring)||12602379|
|1||Pipe Asm, Fuel Feed Inter||12608374|
|1||Seal, Cr/Shf Front Oil||12584041|
|1||Bolt Asm, Hx Hd W/Con Spr Washer||11589123|
|2||Bolt, Cm/Shf Posn Actr||11588844|
|5||Oil, Engine, AC Delco DEXOS1 5W30||19293000|
|8||Screw Schraube (Connecting Rod)||90537293|
|2||Sealant, RTV – (US)||88864346|
|Sealant, RTV – ((Canada)||88861418|
|1||Guide, Balr Chain||90537336|
|1||Coolant, Engine, Dexcool Antifreeze – (US)||12346290|
|Coolant, Engine, Dexcool Antifreeze – (Canada)||10953464|
|Labor Code||Description||Labor Time||Trans. Type||Net Item|
|9900414||Oil Consumption Test Setup – No Repair Required||0.2||ZREG||N/A|
|9900415||Piston and Piston Ring Replacement (Includes Oil Consumption Test)
|9900416||Customer Reimbursement Approved
– For USA and Canada dealers only
– For Export dealers only
|9900417||Customer Reimbursement Denied – For USA dealers only||N/A||ZREG||**|
* For USA and Canada: Submit the dollar amount reimbursed to the Customer in Net/Reimbursement. Submit $20.00 administrative allowance in Net/Admin Allowance.
For Export: Submit the dollar amount reimbursed to the Customer in Net/Reimbursement.
** Submit $10.00 administrative allowance in Net/Admin Allowance.
Customers will be notified of the Special Policy by General Motors (see copy of owner letter included with this bulletin).
Note: This special policy covers repairs after the original powertrain warranty has expired. For vehicles still covered under the original powertrain warranty, the labor code operations should be used from bulletin 13-06-01-003.
Note: Technicians should perform an oil consumption test to determine if the pistons and rings must be replaced. Follow the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011 to perform an oil consumption test. Before starting the oil consumption test, verify the ECM has latest TIS2web calibrations to adjust the engine oil life monitor to a maximum of 7,500 miles (12,070 km) — Refer to the latest version of Customer Satisfaction Bulletin number 12312.
Determine the rate of oil consumption.
- If the oil consumption test indicates that the rate of consumption is equal to or less than 1 quart (0.946L) of oil every 2,000 miles (3,200 km), note the oil consumption rate and the date that the ECM was reprogrammed. Explain to the customer, that their engine meets the guidelines for oil consumption at this time. No further action is required.
- If the oil consumption test indicates that the rate of consumption is greater than 1 quart (0.946 L) of oil every 2,000 miles (3,200 km), note the oil consumption rate, the date that the ECM was reprogrammed and replace the pistons and rings.
Note: The repair is to replace the pistons and rings. In some cases the bore surface may not have a uniform look to the finish (zebra stripes) as shown in Technical Service Bulletin 13-06-01-003. As a result, some technicians may question whether the engine should be repaired or replaced. After careful evaluation, GM Powertrain has determined that the new pistons and rings will perform correctly in bores that have this appearance so engine replacement should not be necessary. The cylinder bores do not need any machine or honing work performed on them. Refer to Technical Service Bulletin 13-06-01-003 for more information.
Piston and Ring Replacement Procedure
Note: Review the following service procedures and technical bulletin in SI:
- Engine Replacement
- Technical Service Bulletin 13-06-01-003 placing a special emphasis on the PCV orifice between the #2 and #3 intake runners.
- Piston and Connecting Rod Disassemble
- Piston and Connecting Rod Assemble
- Piston Connecting Rod, and Bearing Installation (LAF, LAT, LE5, LE9, LEA, or LUK)
- Remove the engine from the vehicle.
- Remove the pistons from the engine.
- Remove the pistons from the connecting rods.
- Discard the pistons and piston rings.
- Install the new piston rings onto the new pistons.
- Install the new pistons onto the connecting rods.
- Assemble the engine.
- Install the engine into the vehicle.
Courtesy Transportation — For USA & Canada
Courtesy transportation is available for Customers whose vehicles are involved in a product program and still within the warranty coverage period. See General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual, Sections 1.4 and 6.1.10, for courtesy transportation program details.
General Motors will notify Customers of this special coverage on their vehicle (see copy of typical Customer letter included with this bulletin).
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by May 31, 2018. See General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual, Section 6.1.11 – Product Field Action Customer Reimbursement Procedure (USA & Canada) or local Policies and Procedures, for details.
This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN:__________________________
Dear General Motors Customer:
This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2012 model year Chevrolet Equinox or GMC Terrain vehicles, equipped with a 2.4L engine, may exhibit excessive engine oil consumption (less than 2,000 miles [3,200 km] per quart [0.946 L] of engine oil), due to piston ring wear. If this condition is present, an audible rattle or knock from the engine may be heard. The engine oil pressure telltale may illuminate on the instrument panel or the following message may appear in the Driver Information Center: “Oil Pressure Low – Stop Engine.”
Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.
What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2012 model year Chevrolet Equinox or GMC Terrain within 7 years and 6 months of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.
What You Should Do: It is a good idea to check the engine oil level at each fuel fill. Your vehicle owner manual has instructions on checking engine oil in the Vehicle Care section. If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.
Reimbursement: If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed reimbursement form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed reimbursement form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by 30, 2018, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.
The right to submit reimbursement claims is provided by GM solely in the interest of customer satisfaction and is personal to vehicle owners and lessees who previously paid for repairs referenced in this Special Coverage (“Customers”). Customers may not assign and GM does not consent to any assignment of any Customer’s right to submit reimbursement claims, or to receive reimbursement, or any other rights granted by this Special Coverage to any third party, including but not limited to service contract providers, and this Special Coverage is not intended to and does not confer any third party beneficiary, subrogation or contribution rights, or any other rights to reimbursement, against GM, whether in law, equity or otherwise, on any third parties.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, please contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.
|Division||Number||Text Telephones (TTY)|
|Puerto Rico – English||1-800-496-9992|
|Puerto Rico – Español||1-800-496-9993|
We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.
Terry M. Inch
Global Connected Customer Experience
- High-mileage full-synthetic motor oil (5W-30, 5 quart); offers higher level of protection for engines over 75,000 miles and longer drain intervals
- Formulated to reduce likelihood of Low Speed Pre-Ignition; reduces friction for improved fuel economy and protection against engine wear
- High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
- Helps to fight volatility burn-off to minimize engine deposits and exhaust emissions
- dexos1 Gen 2, API SN Plus, and ILSAC GF-5 approved; always follow vehicle manual recommendations
- Advanced premium full synthetic motor oil to offer strength under extreme pressure
- Titanium strong for maximum engine performance
- Reduces metal-to-metal contact across a range of different driving speeds
- Protects the engine for the entire drain interval even under extreme pressure
- Decreases engine deposit formation to help maximize engine response.Instructions:Take advantage of the 1 QT bottle for quick oil changes and top-offs
- 20,000 miles between drain intervals guaranteed*
- Recommended for severe applications such as towing and hauling, high performance driving, frequent short trips or idling, dusty, humid or extreme temperature environment
- Engineered with fluid titanium technology that offers maximum strength under pressure
- Reduces metal-to-metal contact across a range of different driving speeds. Protection: Proprietary titanium additive provides unsurpassed wear protection
- Decreases engine deposit formation to help maximize engine response
- Better wear protection
- Increased fuel efficiency
- Better protection of the expensive catalytic emission system
- Improved compatibility with fuels containing ethanol
- Superior corrosion protection
- Excellent engine cleanliness through superior sludge and varnish protection
- Outstanding high-temperature protection under severe driving conditions and superior cold-temperature protection through faster oil flow at start-up
- Helps maintain fuel efficiency
- Meets the performance requirements of virtually all naturally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged passenger cars operating in North America
- For any product use or product technical questions call 1-800-TEAM-VAL
- Titanium strong for maximum engine performance in vehicles with over 75,000 miles
- Maximizes short and long term engine performance on high mileage engines
- Boosted with extra fluid titanium technology to increase oil film strength and reduce film breakdown
- Reduces leaks, oil burn off and power-robbing deposits
- Improves fuel economy
- Engineered to provide a high-quality base oil using our revolutionary PurePlus gas-to-liquid technology in combination with a high performance additive system
- Delivers unsurpassed sludge protection to help keep high performance and luxury car engines as close as possible to factory clean
- Provides oil stability and endurance under extreme conditions (heat, load and speed) for protection against viscosity loss and thermal breakdown
- Formulated to deliver faster low temperature oil flow and protection in extreme heat
- Keeps pistons dramatically cleaner than required by the toughest industry standards
Last update on 2019-05-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-05-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API