|Subject:||Water Leak Around Rear Window, Water Found in Trunk, Possible Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated|
|Brand:||Model:||Model Year:||Date Breakpoint:||Engine:||Transmission:|
|Chevrolet||Cruze (VIN B)||2016||2016||All||All|
|Chevrolet||Cruze (VIN B) Notchback||2017||2017||SOP 2017||September 6, 2016|
|Involved Region or Country||North America and N. A. Export Regions|
|Condition||Some customers may comment on seeing a water leak around the rear window, finding water in the trunk and/or on a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illuminated.|
The cause of the condition may be loose or missing nuts retaining the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL), which may allow water to by-pass the CHMSL and flow into the trunk area.
Note: This bulletin provides service information and labor time to verify fastener torque of the CHMSL and water test the vehicle. If water damage is present, repair and/or replace damaged interior or trunk trim and also any Multifunction Power Supply Converter (DC-DC Converter) modules in the trunk that may have been submerged. Submit a claim under warranty if the interior/trunk trim and/or any Multifunction Power Supply Converter (DC-DC Converter) modules were damaged by water.
- Open the trunk and inspect the interior trunk trim and any floor mounted electronic modules for evidence of water damage.
Caution: If water is found in battery well, disconnect the battery immediately. DO NOT reconnect the battery until area is dried out, and any Multifunction Power Supply Converter (DC-DC Converter) module is replaced, if necessary.
- If water is found in the battery well area, remove both floor drain plugs from the bottom of the well to allow water to drain out.
- Lower the rear of the headliner enough to access the four nuts that retain the CHMSL. Refer to the appropriate Headlining Trim Panel Replacement procedure, in SI.
- Remove the right side, inboard nut from the CHMSL.
- Apply LOCTITE® Threadlocker Blue 242 ®, (P/N 9985283; in Canada 10953489), to the stud.
- Finger start the nut onto the stud.
Tighten Tighten the nut to 8 Nm (70 lb in).
- Continue to remove, apply LOCTITE® and re-tighten remaining nuts in this sequence:
7.1 Left side, inboard
7.2 Left side, outboard
7.3 Right side, outboard
- Water test and check for leaks from joints, locators and/or connector.
- Check for water under the rear carpet/floor area, and refer to Floor Carpet Drying in SI, as necessary.
Important: If submerged or intruded by water, replace the Multifunction Power Supply Converter (DC-DC Converter) ONLY. There is no need to replace the fuse block or battery, nor the Fuel Pump Control Module, because it is waterproof.
- If water leak IS corrected, completely dry the vehicle and reinstall the headliner. Refer to Headlining Trim Panel Replacement in SI. Inspect any trim and trunk area components for water related damage. Replace any Multifunction Power Supply Converter (DC-DC Converter) that has been intruded by water, and repair/replace interior trim that was damaged by water. If required, refer to Eliminating Unwanted Odors in Vehicles in SI for information on cleaning the interior trunk trim.
- If water leak is NOT corrected, continue with further recommended water leak diagnostics from SI.
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
|Labor Operation||Description||Labor Time|
|0580208*||Verify CHMSL Fastener Torque, Water Test Rear Roof||0.7 hr|
|*This is a unique Labor Operation for Bulletin use only.|
|Modified||Oct. 10, 2016 – Added a Caution following step #1.
Oct. 14, 2016 – Updated the Model information and Service Procedure.
Nov. 18, 2016 – Corrected Torque Specification and updated electronic module replacement information.