Bulletin No.: PIC5453B
|Subject:||Handling Requests For Modifications To Permanently Import / Export Vehicles Between The US And Canada|
|Models:||2017 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks|
This PI was superseded to update model years and to add additional information. Please discard PIC5453A.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
General Motors (GM) and General Motors of Canada Company (GMCC) do not support cross border sales. Dealers are not authorized under their agreements with GM or GM Canada to sell vehicles for export. Dealers in Canada should refer to GMCC Home Office Letter #2015-704 Vehicle Export, Import & Sale for Resale.
Customers that live in one country but plan on moving to the other should contact the GM Customer Care Center (CCC) for information on warranty coverage. For additional information to assist our Customers, refer below to the section applicable for their destination.
Important: GM cannot facilitate the import/export of vehicles with Branded titles (i.e., salvaged, totaled, rebuilt, etc.) or vehicles first sold as incomplete vehicles.
Important: Recall clearance must be verified prior to importing the vehicle in order to avoid any delays during the import process. Open recalls must be addressed in the country of the vehicles existing registration prior to importation. GM cannot make any exceptions for Recalls that remain Open due to lack of parts.
Exporting / Importing Vehicle from Canada to the USA
A customer may be permanently relocating from Canada to the United States and request to make modifications to their vehicle in order to meet U.S. requirements.
Before purchasing and importing a vehicle into the USA, the Customer should be directed to the General Motors of Canada Customer Care Centre for information on vehicle admissibility.
The General Motors of Canada Customer Care Centre is the sole authorized provider of a certification confirmation letter which helps our customers identify if their vehicles meets the required USA regulatory standards necessary for importation into the USA. Contact the General Motors of Canada Customer Care Centre at 1-800-263-3777 (English) or 1-800-263-7854 (French).
General Motors of Canada provides this service at no charge to our Customers as long as the vehicle is being imported for personal use and not for resale according to Box 2B of US DOT Declaration Form HS-7 (http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/HS7_r.v.7.pdf).
In the case where GM Canada CCC is not able furnish a compliance letter, the vehicle could only be imported into the United States on a permanent basis under Box 3 on the HS-7 Declaration form. Customers should be directed to a Registered Importer (RI) to modify the vehicle so that it complies with all applicable FMVSS following importation.
A list of RI’s in active status with NHTSA can be found at www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
General Motors of Canada does not provide support for customers importing or exporting vehicles to and from countries other than the USA.
A General Motors of Canada certification confirmation letter may be issued to the Customer who is personally importing a vehicle if it complies with required FMVSS and is admissible to the USA under the provisions of NHTSA 49 CFR Part 591.5(g). Some CMVSS-certified vehicles may not meet some FMVSS such as FMVSS 138 TPMS and FMVSS 208 Passenger Airbag status indicator labeling. The Customer should contact GM Canada CCC to determine if vehicle is admissible to the USA. It may be possible to retrofit their vehicle to comply. This is a Customer-paid expense; not covered by GM warranty. The Customer will need to provide a Repair Order from a GM Dealer to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent as evidence that specified retrofit work was completed.
General Motors (GM) vehicles sold in Canada must comply with Canadian emission standards. Since 1998 model year, Canadian emissions regulations have been aligned with those of the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). A selected number of Canadian vehicles are certified for all 50 states for emissions. It is important to refer the customer to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of the destination State to determine if the vehicle is admissible since a number of States have aligned with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) Standards rather than the EPA Standards. GM will not retrofit a vehicle to meet CARB if it is already certified to EPA Federal emissions standards. 1996-1997 MY GM Canada vehicles were not compliant to EPA emissions standards and need to have the OBD retrofit completed before considered compliant. As noted in GM Service Bulletin #02-06-04-039, the retrofit can only be completed by a GM U.S dealer at the customer’s expense. Customer will need to provide a Repair Order from a GM Dealer to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent as evidence that specified retrofit work was completed.
Warranty Coverage in USA:
GM Service Policy & Procedures indicate that Canadian owners that are relocating their residence to the U.S. must register their vehicle properly in the U.S. and if applicable, pay the cost to have their odometer converted to miles by an authorized GM Electronic Service Center for the vehicle to be eligible for warranty coverage. Some vehicles may provide distance readouts in the original country’s unit of measure (e.g. kilometers) and also miles and therefore do not require conversion. In keeping with the General Motors Export Policy, New vehicles originally sold in Canada must have been in service in Canada for at least six (6) months and must have at least 12,000 kilometers (7,500 miles) before a GM Service Agent in the U.S. is authorized to perform warranty work.
Exporting / Importing Vehicles from the USA to Canada
A customer may be permanently relocating from the United States to Canada and request to make modifications to their vehicle in order to meet Canadian requirements.
Before purchasing and importing a vehicle into Canada, the Customer should be directed to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program, for information on vehicle admissibility, RIV exemptions, recall clearance documentation, vehicle modification requirements, vehicle branding history and Environment Canada requirements http://www.riv.ca).
General Motors of Canada Company does not provide support for customers importing or exporting vehicles to and from countries other than the USA
While we make no claims about the accuracy, we understand that the following website associated with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) and created by Transport Canada has information regarding the importation of vehicles into Canada, including the legal requirements for modifications to such vehicles. http://www.riv.ca
Warranty Coverage in Canada:
Important: For latest dealer Documentation & Policy Updates, GMCC dealers should refer to General Motors of Canada Home Office Letter #2015-704 Subject: Vehicle Export, Import & Sale for Resale.
- ADVANCED 3-IN-1 FORMULA! Frustrated with all the products (and MONEY) it takes to get a smooth, clean and shiny finish on your ride? Look no further! SHINE ARMOR FORTIFY QUICK COAT is your one-stop-shop to achieving your desired results. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat provides a waterless wash, coat and shine, all in ONE CONVENIENT BOTTLE.
- NO STREAKING, SMEARING OR SCRATCHING - Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat's premium formula is both gentle and effective on any vehicle! It provides a clean and shiny finish, without hurting your car's paint or leaving unsightly drying smears and streaks. Simply, apply SHINE ARMOR FORTIFY QUICK COAT once and experience all the formula has to offer!
- CUTS DIRT, GRIME & GREASE - Only SHINE ARMOR FORTIFY QUICK COAT eliminates dirt, grime & grease instantly on contact! Save time and money with our signature 3-in-1 formula. In just one 8-ounce bottle, you'll get a waterless wash, coat and shine for a clean, showcase look.
- SAFE FOR ALL SURFACES - Use Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat on AUTOMOBILES, BOATS, MOTORCYCLES, RVs, FOUR-WHEELERS AND MORE! It is the perfect blend of surfactants and SiO2 ceramic-coating science. FORTIFY QUICK COAT will allow you to achieve the showcase look you love without damaging the surface of your favorite ride!
- GET SHINE ARMOR FORTIFY QUICK COAT RISK FREE: 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - We are confident you will love our FORTIFY QUICK COAT, we offer a 30-day money-back guarantee! CLICK "Add to Cart" NOW, ZERO RISK!
- Eliminates dirt, grime and environmental contaminants; Gloss Enhancer
- Safe on all vehicle surfaces including paint, rubber, vinyl, glass and plastics
- Dilute with one cap to five gallons of water
- pH-neutral formula lifts dirt and grime away from paint where it can be safely rinsed away
- Fresh natural honeydew smell that's simple and delicious
- ONE EASY STEP: Formula delivers maximum synthetic protection, durability, depth of color, and reflectivity in this easy one step
- EFFORTLESS APPLICATION: Thin Film technology provides for easy application and wipe off even in full sun, and will not stain non-painted trim pieces white
- LONG-LASTING PROTECTION: Advanced synthetic polymers crosslink to form a long-lasting protective barrier while amplifying reflection for incredible depth and mirror-like shine
- WATER ROLLS RIGHT OFF PAINT: Hydrophobic Polymer technology increases surface tension to protect paint
- SAFE AND FLEXIBLE: Safe and effective on all glossy paints and clear coats, and can be applied by hand or dual action variable speed polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- ONLY ONE STEP: Designed to both clean and condition your car in one easy step
- ADVANCED FORMULA: Cleans without stripping wax protection
- THE BEST CLEAN: Foams away tough dirt, road grime and contaminants
- RADIANT LOOK: Contains ultra-rich conditioners to make your paint look its best
- FOAM CANNON READY: Diverse application allows it to be used in a bucket or in a foam cannon. *Dilute 5:1 when used with a foam cannon.
- 100 percent carnauba-based wax
- New formulation for even easier application
- Deep wet look to any paintwork
- Improved level of protection.Date on item is manufactured date
- More UVA and UVB protection
- Cleans & polishes a variety of metals
- Provides long-lasting smooth & polished surface
- Provides brilliant shine
- Multi-purpose metal polish for: brass, copper, stainless steel, chrome, aluminum, pewter, and bronze
- Great to use on: car rims, stainless refrigerators/ovens/toasters/dishwashers, faucets, metal kitchenware and metal furniture
- EASY TO USE: Our formula offers long-lasting polymer protection and incredible deep gloss to fiberglass and gel coat surfaces
- BEST PROTECTION FOR YOUR BOAT: Protects against UV damage and wear
- VARIETY OF USES: Removes light oxidation, fine scratches and swirls while protecting
- GREAT RESULTS: Dramatically enriches color and shine while bringing out the full richness of the surface
- USE WITH HAND PADS OR POLISHER: Formulated to be effective by hand or dual action variable speed polisher
- DURABLE HIGH-SHINE FINISH: Sprayable dry-to-the-touch non-greasy dressing works on interior and exterior vinyl, rubber, plastics, tires and dashboard surfaces to restore original OEM look that will not attract dirt or dust
- PROTECT AGAINST FADING: Ultra-refined Weather-Tek formula penetrates deep to nourish and protect like-new appearance that lasts for weeks, not days. Sun blockers shield from harmful UV rays that fade, crack and break vinyl, rubber, and plastic parts
- NON-GREASY WATER-BASED FORMULA: Achieve a non-greasy long lasting dry-to-the-touch deep wet look on both interior and exterior vinyl, rubber, plastic and tires with this water-based dressing. Quick and easy application lasts for weeks, not days
- THE #1 BRAND IN CAR CARE: Beginners and professionals alike choose Chemical Guys, not only for the finest car care products, but the world class customer support and vast detailing knowledge. Chemical Guys is more than a brand - it's a lifestyle with a worldwide following
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Our customers love our products. We love our products, and we want to make sure you love them too! If you have any questions about or issues with this amazing dressing, please do not hesitate to call one of our friendly and knowledgeable customer service representatives at 866-822-3670 (Mon - Fri)
Last update on 2019-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API