Bulletin No.: PIP5495G
Published date: 10/17/2018
PIP5495G Check Engine Light On With P0299 Or P0234
|Buick||Encore||2013 – 2019||All||All||1.4L LUV or LUJ||All|
|Chevrolet||Cruze||2011 – 2016||All||All||1.4L LUV or LUJ||All|
|Chevrolet||Sonic||2012 – 2019||All||All||1.4L LUV or LUJ||All|
|Chevrolet||Trax||2013 – 2019||All *See Note||All *See Note||1.4L LUV or LUJ||All|
|Involved Region or Country:||North America|
|Condition:||All turbochargers that are returned to the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) are inspected by Engineering for root cause failure.
The purpose of this information is to reduce the number of no trouble found (NTF) turbochargers being returned to the WPC by informing the Service Department personnel of what inspections and/or diagnosis to perform, prior to replacing and returning a turbocharger to the WPC. Read the entire bulletin prior to beginning any work.
|Cause:||Misdiagnosis Leading to Returned Turbochargers with NTF|
Causes of Misdiagnosis Leading to Returned Turbochargers with NTF:
Do not replace the turbocharger if P0299 is set and one of the following is present:
Crack(s) at the wastegate valve port (this is normal and does not affect performance)
If obstruction/deposits cannot be removed replace solenoid (released for service)
If the tamper paint seal is broken or missing, check the vehicle for any additional sign of modification to the induction, exhaust, or engine calibrations as this may indicate an attempt to adjust the wastegate arm to modify the powertrain operation.
If found, review the powertrain warranty status with your service manager prior to performing repairs
Check for animal nesting materials restricting air flow to the turbocharger.
Excessive exhaust system backpressure.
Note: In cold weather conditions, moisture in the induction system can freeze. Refer to Charger Air Cooler (CAC) ICING section in this bulletin.
Replace the turbocharger if P0299 is set and at least one of the following is present:
Disconnected wastegate lever arm pin (1) from the lever arm (crank) (2).
Wastegate valve/linkage seized (cannot move).
Note: This issue will only be found on 2011 or 2012 vehicles equipped with original equipment turbochargers.
If the lever wiggles with little effort while the actuator rod remains static, the pre-load is insufficient and the turbocharger must be replaced.
The original equipment wastegate actuator found on 2011 and 2012 model years shown below, has a recessed stop at the head of the actuator.
The updated design actuator show below has a stop that is not recessed and allows 5mm more travel in the closed direction. With this updated design, it is very unlikely that an insufficient preload issue exists.
Original equipment actuator is found on 2011 and 2012 model years.
Wastegate Preload Inspection.
If you have any of the following conditions:
Perform the following to isolate the cause as needed.
Understand and verify the customer concern. Perform the Diagnostic System Check – Vehicle and utilize Strategy Based Diagnosis.
Verify the proper engine oil level.
Inspect for any aftermarket devices or customer modifications. Refer to Checking Aftermarket accessories in SI.
Remove the turbocharger rubber outside air inlet duct.
Note: If oil is leaking into the opening; refer to the current version of PIP5197.
Charger Air Cooler (CAC) Icing and cold weather issues:
Hose and Charge Air Cooler Icing – Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, DTC P0299, P0236, P2227, and P00C7 Set)
(See Included Unique Labor Operation created specifically for this test only – Not to be utilized if the Turbocharger is replaced for any issue listed above)
Always perform this test prior to replacing the turbocharger if DTC P0299 is set and no other issue has been found.
- Connect GDS2 to the vehicle.
- Clear all DTCs.
- Warm the engine up to the normal operating temperature.
- Move the vehicle to a safe area for the following drive cycle.
- Enter ECM induction data list in GDS2.
- From a stop, accelerate the vehicle at WOT until the transmission forces the 1st to 2nd gear shift, return to a stop.
- Repeat this step three times and then exit induction data.
- Determine the difference between actual and desired boost pressures (see GDS2 set up and examples).
- Utilize the Print Screen Function to take a screen shot of GDS2 showing the line graph.
- Replace the turbocharger if the difference within the Measured Window is more than 14 KPA (2.0 PSI) as shown in the examples.
- Repeat steps 3-9 with the newly installed turbocharger. Utilize the Print Screen Function to take a second screenshot of the line graph.
- Be sure that the full VIN at the bottom of the GDS2 screen is captured in the screenshot.
- Print and attach the screenshots to the replaced turbocharger paperwork. (You should have two printouts attached to the warranty part return).
- Retain the session file for at least 30 days in the event engineering requests it.
GDS2 set up and examples:
Using your mouse, drag a box around each individual acceleration event to zoom in as shown below.
In this example, notice that the measure window begins once the Boost Pressure Sensor reading (Green) meets the Desired Boost Pressure reading (Blue) and ends when the APP is released per the testing instructions.
The Boost Pressure Sensor reading (Green) closely tracks the Desired Boost Pressure reading (Blue) indicating normal Turbocharger operation.
In this example, notice that the Boost Pressure Sensor reading (Green) moves thru and well above the Desired Boost Pressure reading (Blue).
As the abnormally high pressure is corrected by the management system, the Boost Pressure Sensor reading (Green) over reacts and dips well below Desired Boost Pressure reading (Blue).
A difference of 14 KPA (2 PSI) between the Boost Pressure reading (Green) and the Desired Boost Pressure Sensor reading (Blue) Indicates a Malfunctioning Turbocharger.
Turbocharger Replacement – Inspection to Perform:
Oil Line Inspection/Recommendation:
Replace the pipe if restricted. Do not attempt to clean the pipe assembly.
Inspection of this pipe could lead to finding the return pipe has been damaged as a result of excessive heat due to an inadequate oil supply to the turbo.
This latest calibration allows the turbocharger to cool in less time, reducing the likelihood of the oil coking in the oil feed pipe. Proper vehicle maintenance practices will help to reduce the oil coking in the oil feed pipe.
This may avoid the customer returning to service with a noise concern after engine off.
For any component requiring replacement, use the applicable labor operation time as an add to the unique labor operation time listed.
|Labor Operation:||Description:||Labor Time:|
|4081678*||Turbocharger Boost Control Test||.3|
|Add||Turbocharger Replacement and Coolant System Fill.||Trax – 2.8|
|Sonic – 2.5|
|Cruze – 2.4|
|Encore – 2.8|
|This is a unique Labor Operation for Bulletin use only.
*This labor operation must only be utilized if Turbocharger Boost Control Test has been performed with screenshots attached to warranty paperwork.
|Updated||4/12/2017 – Created
06/08/2017 Updated Correction Section and photos.
06/09/2017 Updated verbiage related to anti tamper paint.
10/13/2017 Updated to clarify portions of the Turbocharger Boost Control Test verbiage.
10/17/2018 Updated to add verbiage to Correction section.
Bulletin No.: PIP5495G
Published date: 10/17/2018
Bulletin No.: PIP5495E
Published date: N/A
Bulletin No.: PIP5495D
Published date: 01/18/2018
Bulletin No.: PIP5495C
Published date: 10/20/2017
Bulletin No.: PIP5495B
Published date: N/A
Bulletin No.: PIP5495A
Published date: N/A
- Comprehensive OE-Level diagnostic & OBDII services, advanced ECU coding and programming for pro tools;
- Designed for professional technicians who demand superior tool features to provide the most performance for their investment
- Auto-Vin technology for fast and precise vehicle identification. Autel Maxisys Pro performs the same function as Autel MS908S PRO, MS908E, and provide better price.
- Extensive OE-Level vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes
- Compatible with some add-ons: Oscilloscope-MaxiScope MP408 and Digital Inspection Cameras (MV105 and MV108)
- 【SUPERIOR CODING & PROGRAMMING】 Supports coding and programming especially for BMW and Mercedes. With the VCI of MK908P for SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2 protocols, it can replace the existing software and firmware in ECU without expensive original equipment.
- 【WIDE DIAGNOSTIC SOLUTIONS】 Well capable of VCM coding and programming, TPMS coding, intelligent cruise control (ICC), ECU coding, live data, dashboard matching, airbag system reset, anti-theft key matching and more.
- 【POWERFUL DIAGNOSTIC TOOL】 The oscilloscope MP408 combine with MaxiCOM MK908P is able to measure and test virtually all the electrical and electronic components and circuits in any modern vehicles, providing you an insight to the inner workings of a vehicle's electronic circuits.
- 【HIGH-EFFICIENCY OF USE】 Being MS908P upgraded, it is Autel's latest and most sophisticated diagnostic scanner which boasts the best hardware including Hexa-CPU, 2GB RAM etc. for fast boot-up and multitasking, and the ergonomic design to resist damage of heavy use.
- 【WARRANTY & UPDATE】 You can get quality related services within 12 months warranty, besides, 12 months free online update is available for the latest bug fixes and newly added parameters and car models.
- Comprehensive OE-Level diagnostic & OBDII services, advanced ECU coding and BENZ & BMW programming for pro tools(Same function as Maxisys Elite)
- A Cortex-A9 quad-core processor with 9.7-in LCD-backlitMulti Touch screen bring you a fast, intuitive and complete diagnoses with IPS tech
- Easy navigation makes information needed simple and fast；Remote technical support for convenient demonstration and training
- Cloud-based Data Manager for saving customer and vehicle records, scannerdata and technician notes to prevent loss of data
- 12-month warranty for any quality problems
- The MaxiSys Diagnostic Platform is an evolutionary smart solution for specialized automotive diagnosis and ECU programming
- Extensive vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes
- 9.7 inch 1,024x768 LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi Touch display with IPS technology
- Complete capabilities for codes, live data, actuation tests, adaptations, coding and ECU programming
- One Year Free Update Online, Free Shipping by DHL All Around the World, 3-5 Days Delivery
- 【ECU CODING 】: With VCI device, Artipad I diagnostic tool is capable of ECU coding; designed for professional techs who need superior automotive scanners. Comparing to others, Artipad I is the unique one.
- 【Full OBD2 FUNCTIONS】: Artipad I professional giagnostic equipment comes with the 11 special services and full obd2 functions, this full system code scanner is your best choice.
- 【EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE】: Worked with Scopebox and Videoscope of Topdon, this auto scanner provides users with an insight to the inner work of a vehicle's electronic circuits
- 【WIDE COVERAGE】:This exceptional OE-Level functionality diagnostic scanner is available for over 80 1996 US-based, 2000 European-based and newer OBD2 protocol vehicles. For only 3-in-1 Auto battery taster please click the link: http://a.co/a552g4A
- 【NOTICE & WARRANTY】:Please close antivirus software when the software is updated.12-month warranty for any quality problems;First 3-month warranty for free refund or replacement; Free update for 1 year
- SUPERIOR CODING & PROGRAMMING: Supports coding and programming especially for BMW and Mercedes. With the VCI of MS908P for SAE J2534-1 and J2534-2 protocols, it can replace the existing software and firmware in ECU without expensive original equipment.
- WIDE DIAGNOSTIC SOLUTIONS: Capable of VCM coding and programming, TPMS coding, intelligent cruise control (ICC), ECU coding, live data, dashboard matching, airbag system reset, anti-theft key matching and more.
- HIGH-EFFICIENCY OF USE: Provides you with easy operations through the ultra-fast Cortex-A9 processor, 9.7-in large screen and Android System. You can do a lot like search, update, screenshots, and data record with just one touch by remote control.
- EXTENSIVE COVERAGE: The MS908P can work on over 80 American, Asian and European vehicles, which enables you to have diagnoses on most common cars on the road in a quick and smart way.
- Autel TS601 TPMS Tool: The MaxiTPMS TS601 is capable of wirelessly diagnosing TPMS problems as well as reprogramming the vehicle's ECU. Easy to read direct feedback from all 4 sensors, clearly understand the status of all TPMS features, and compare sensor and ECU data.
- 【ADVANCED FUNCTIONS】 Read/clear codes for all available systems ( including engine, transmission,ABS and AIRBAG ), Bi-directional control ability, Support auto bleed test, Forced DPF regeneration and adjusting injectors, Relearn parking brake pad after replacement (brake reprogramming), IMMO functions (key configuration)
- 【SUPERIOR FEATURES】 Relearn/ reset throttle body positions, Reset Steering Angle Sensor (SAS,steering wheel calibration), Reset service mileage and service intervals, TPMS sensor relearn, Battery registration and reset, Reading automatic gearbox, Shows the vehicle's operation graphs, Adjust idle/ Relearn idle, Cycle the abs system to evacuate air, Bleed ABS pump/ ABS bleeding brake
- 【COST-EFFECTIVE】 The automotive diagnostic scanner supports basic TPMS Service (Tires Pressures Monitoring System), including displaying sensor IDs from vehicle's ECU, inputting TPMS sensor replacement IDs and registering sensors to vehicle
- 【EXTENSIVE VEHICLE COVERAGE】 More than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes after 1996. Smart AutoVIN technology for identifying vehicles easily
- 【WARRANTY & UPDATE】 12-month warranty and 12-month free online update. Automatic system and software updates with real-time push message notifications via Wi-Fi
- ---【Guarantee】---:1/Year Free Update; ------Before purchase, suggest message us with your car brand ,model, productive year and the function you require. ------ Work with computer (Win7 System, 32bit, I5CPU 4G RAM), software Installation is a little complicated, WE SUPPORTS on-line engineer support by teamviwer.
- ---[Function]---: Work for GM vehicle (for Buick, for Chevrolet, for Cadillac, for Opel, for Saab) diagnose engines, OBD II Code reader, clear fault code, transmissions, ABS, instrument panels etc. (Productive Years: 2005-2017 )
- ---[Compatible]---: ------VXDIAG GM professional Diagnostic Tool Fully compatible with GM vehicle SAE-J2534-1 & SAE-J2534-2; ------Because Antivirus software cannot recognize and regard VXDIAG software as virus, so, please shut down the antivirus software before you install software, hope you can accept, thank you.
- ---[Connection]---:Quick access to vehicle data for maintenance or management reports, quickly attaches to vehicle's diagnostic connector. Connect car and device via 16pin OBDII port, connect device by USB cable/ WIFI
- ---[Protocols]---:The software of VXDIAG VCX NANO for GM includes two parts: tech2win and GDS2. Version of tech2win: V33.003; Version of GDS2: V2016.1.0 ; Mixed fleet capabilities with broad protocol support, All current and most legacy vehicle protocols: CAN, UART, KW2000, Class2,for GM LAN, etc.
- 【Application】: 2 in 1 Diagnostics tools work for both for BMW and for BENZ for Mercedes, Also, you can email us pay for authorization fees to add other sofwares, include: for GM, for Ford, for Mazda,for Toyota, for Honda, for LandRover, for Jaguar, for Subaru,for Volvo,for VW, for P-or-s-che.
- 【for BMW Function】: for BMW Diagnosis, Programming and Coding , this function only for BMW software is free Brush hidden, Single Engineer and E-sys, WinKFP, ItoolRadar, Tool32, INPA, KSD2 , Grop ISPI, NCS- EXPERT tool, ISTA, New features activation and the module system update.
- 【Language】---: all supports English, different verhicle supports different language kinds
- 【Guarantee】---:One Year Warranty; One Year free update;Note, the software install is a little complicated, if you are in trouble, please feel free to contact the seller.
- 【for Benz Function】: Engines (only software for benz can do All Gasoline & Diesel Systems); Transmissions and Electronic Selector Modules; Airmatic and Active Body Control Suspension Systems; Traction Systems: ESP / ASR / ETS / ABS / BAS / SBC braking systems Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS) / Airbag, All body modules OCP / UCP / LCP / SCM / SKF / KFB / RCM / DCM's Drive Authorisation System Sam (Signal Acquisition) Modules Electronic Ignition System (EIS) etc
- J2534 REPROGRAMMING: The scanner works with SAE-J2534 to provide best solutions for BMW and Benz ECU programming, to help match the electronic control unit with new components after repair and replacement for any professional mechanics and technicians.
- ULTIMATE SCANNER: Being MS908P upgraded, it is Autel's latest and most sophisticated diagnostic scanner which boasts the best hardware including Hexa-CPU, 2GB RAM etc. for fast boot-up and multitasking, and the ergonomic design to resist damage of heavy use.
- ALL-AROUND DIAGNOSES: This diagnostic device can access to vehicle's all systems and subsystems. It takes care of professionals who like to perform advanced functions as ECU coding, bi-directional control, active test etc., for getting complex diagnosis efficiently.
- EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE: Easy and intuitive navigation makes finding what you need simple and fast. Displays live data in text, graph, analog and digital gauge for intuitive analysis. Data Manager saving diagnostic records for future reviews. And much more.
- EXTENDABLE FEATURE: This automotive diagnostic tool can expand the diagnostic capabilities by working with MP408, MV108 to go deeper into the unseen details for locating the fault efficiently, or by working with TS601 for diagnosing comprehensive TPMS problems.
Last update on 2019-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API